“…but for me, it has become a respectful understanding of credit unduly assigned to limitations of my humanity, and the comparison is awfully pale… for shivering in the enormous cold shadow on the other side of love. Love as a profile of life and an attribute of one’s spirit- not a condition…” -Meka, Love Mekanism Project
Unlikely Music Review as Poetry: New Song By Billy Lord was the very first post here. With permission, I reviewed his newly penned song, Lone Star, as a poetic work. Thanks Billy! These lyrics and his inspiring story helped sparked interests in discovering new artists, new music, and great song content. I urge you to read through the comments for a few of those sentiments. Many asked, “Where can I find out more about Billy Lord and his music?”-wanting to also discover a musical gem. This song gave rise to the New Artist Challenge to discover more new music and now a related series that begins Sunday here on Interact with Me a 8:30pm CST.
And for Billy Lord, on the heels of his recent performance at Independence Park in Bristol, Rhode Island, as part of a 4th of July concert series, now he’s working on new music for his upcoming album, National Anthem, and preparing for an upcoming performance of his critically acclaimed songs from his début album, American Music available on billylordmusic.com at the EOTM Awards on August 2, 2013. For more information about Billy’s upcoming events, appearances, and performances, follow him on facebook, instagram, and twitter: billylordmusic. Now, go find and support some new music!
Thank you for celebrating with me tonight -lovemeka
I also recommend the following new artists:
I should say “changes really soon”. More love!!! That’s for sure… I’m still grasping that I’m not alone in here. Your patience and presence feels absolutely amazing. Of course… I did redecorate that one time…but I came up with a few ways to make things more comfortable and easily navigable for you without compromising the integrity of the project:
1) Open and Unedited: You will find a link or tab or menu to make it easier to differentiate works that are currently open and/or unedited. No one asked, but I’m just tryna help 🙂 that way at least you know when I’m working or if I have abandoned a project. Let’s see how that goes.
2) Schedule. For the regular ‘series’ posts and the one new upcoming series, I will post a schedule and try that out, so look for it! Got my fingers crossed, and we’ll see if that works too… It might help if they occur less randomly. It always surprises me who looks forward to what, but I’m just glad you’re reading and benefit. Thank you!
3) Challenge details. More details, rules that I kept in mind, and support related to Challenges. I understand that some are coming later and want to complete the ones I have on their own. Also the New Artist Challenge is becoming a series instead of a sporadic event! <–so excited about that
Comment below or email by clicking About Love Mekanism Project menu button (completing “About Love Mekanism” project menu button– that’s my next project 🙂
Oh yeah… When??? I’m giving myself until Updated: 7/20/13, so look for them.
Good morning! All my loves, I hope the weekend returned you to me rested and ready for a challenge Update.
I made it to Level 2.5! Wooo!!! Ok…that’s all I got. Cheers! Sure, I wanted to get further along. I’m just glad I picked this section as the first because it makes things so much easier. Straight away, you get some direction- a plan. But there are never enough hours, are there? If you remember, from Part 1 how I had to pace myself because a pressing issue bumped my project, but with what I had done so far, it was easy. I can’t pretend that I’m excited about waiting. Somethings just don’t work out as predicted, but when I remember all the times things didn’t turn out as I wanted them to turn out, it actually turned out to be the best thing that could have happened because the alternative is usually (a crash or something?) Well… let’s just say worse… Well, that’s what I keep telling myself! Hey, whatever works.
The key for me is trying not to force things, but to believe that it is unequivocally for me, so there’s nothing that could keep me from my destiny. I like when Oprah says, “God can dream a bigger dream than you.” What a happy lil statement- to imagine that whatever doesn’t happen pales in comparison to what you could ever “dreeeeeam” will be in the future. This way, I don’t create unnecessary obstacles for myself. But in all fairness, my list was pretty detailed, and I am working on 2 simultaneously. I’m happy to be moving along, and with a plan in place, I can at least see where I’m going. That’s exciting!
Guess what? In my plan, I made sure to link the connections specifically why I am doing something a certain way just in case another way comes about, and I can quickly recalled why that choice worked and the others could not. How is your project?
Continued Commentary from Interact with Me: 2) I discuss the comments I picked about Treyvon Martin
To return to Interact comments, click here
- I like by Jacquelyn’s comment a lot because it’s concise, to the point, and I could only hope to do that. She was actually responding specifically to one of the points that Dy made but specifically to him- acknowledging and validating his feelings. This part for some reason was reminiscent of criticisms of another race, and it made me understand how they must have felt because those things- crimes literally break my heart, and everyone is doing the best he or she can. Forget race, as a human being, mindful of what we know about psychology, teaching an infant who grow up a child to be kind and accommodating while everyone’s scared to death of him is quite the task: watching, following, condescending tones as if he can’t hear or perceive, sometimes failing to remember his age, consider that perhaps he’s sick, or any other human emotion. He must be perfect. Perfection is tossed out extra quickly when you look like an adult seemingly overnight– that’ll change your life. One day you’re Trey, and the next, you’re 6′ Mr. Martin. Ever ask a kid not to internalize or ask him to manage or control the emotions of around you? Oh he’d probably put his head down or put his hood up. Hiding– I can relate to that. Anyone could if they wanted to…
“Unfortunately, we have all been trained to not say these things in public especially on our FB pages because then we come off as always bringing up the “race card”. I don’t like gangs and senseless violence of ANY race.” – Jacquelyn Kuykendall (excerpt)
- Dy’s passage is a stirring defense of the teen girl who testified on behalf of her friend Treyvon, in spite of the onslaught of painful racist and class-ist ridicule she endured in social media from all around. I didn’t know her before because I did not follow the trial, but after reading this, I am proud of her bravery because I know what it’s like to overcome a fear, and it is not easy for an adult. My quick little search revealed what I would characterize as cyber-bullying. The gunman’s supporters attacked her deleted tweets to friends– not because she implicated guilt but for her perceived lack of education as judged by the articulation of her texts. This is important because as Dy says, English is not her first language, but most of us only know one language– broken, wrong, or not. She passionately calls on others to lift this young lady in support. Dy discusses qualities that made this young lady a target of ridicule within the racial community with passion- not ridicule but support, offer help, or say nothing about her .
- This makes me appreciate being raised as a person and not as a color. Different types of people were always around- no mention because it didn’t matter. Every once in a while, I would encounter someone who didn’t know any better, but not often! In that sense, I knew who I wasn’t, and that “my place” was no different– not as a conscious thought, but just that it is. It’s easy to focus on what ya didn’t have, what happened, or who I might’ve become if, but sometimes it’s good to be thankful for what didn’t happen and what I didn’t become. Because something you just don’t want to be.
Thank you for reading! We need some cheer honey!!
To return to Interact comments, click here
I liked this one a lot The Travelling Worker (<–British sp.). Could ya ever guess whyyy? 🙂 Well let me know if you do too by commenting below after you; go support it there. Thank you.
“Yesterday, I shared what I aspire or admire in poetry these days, and now I want it back…the inspiration which consumes you now… Today, I want more–to crawl the walls of followers– artists for what I might feature today… the liberation of words, visuals, and sound– poetry transferred from crimped damp paper over slippery keys through clearly blurred vision.” -lovemeka
I want simplicity forced out through desperately hoarse channels–beautiful music cracking all the wrong words in all the wrong ways as these wrongs somehow make it alright and– relax… it’s perfect sense…it doesn’t work while you’re tense…more!
— more unpolished–barely poetry, more melody, more art–just more freaky-lookin-how-the-hell-is-this-beauty? It just is…something of that which comes from the raw unfamiliar places that span the emotions of human energy conduction– synaptic heat…spirit…muscle contractions…off beat and on rhythm though it looks so simple.
Wave your flag at me; be sure I see you by commenting below or sharing anonymously. The challenge is to free your inspiration here on http://lovemekanism.org and pay it forward by freeing others with your free verse or haiku– no rules this Independence Day. Newbies and returnees, this is for you.
Happy 4th of July!!
Comment if you are ready to share your work– otherwise, use this Contact form and specify “anon” or “anonymous”. Don’t forget to Like, Follow, and Share this. Enjoy!
- 7/1/13 Poems – Senryu, Free Verse, Haiku, Etc… (voidpoetry.com)
- POETRY & WORDS :: There are no rules in poetry except (oaxacaborn.com)
And they lived happily ever after is the ending ya expect after dragons have been slayed, and the sultry victim…saved, by a regally hot hero. Well at least 1 1/2- 2hrs of life…invested in the return of their lives to the fairy tale in magically opulent kingdom as our soaring expectations become violently turbulent at the threat of upset at climax. The same climax we feared might snatch our expectation that they might never frolic the gardens of far away lands ever again! Finally from the brink, basking in the buttery-scented exhilaration. The lights returns, and we envision newly deflowered royalty celebrating their warm, loving, beautiful lives away with a muchbetter career, dwelling, interest rate, ROI, FICO, school district, and hairline than mine 😉
But in real life, beating a single adversary is not doesn’t offer “happily ever after”, so I subbed the terms “beat fear” for “harness fear”. As explained to some friends before, feelings give life. Where one may give fragrance, the other could give that little container of coffee beans to help me appreciate aroma of the next sweet feeling. So before, I have mislabeled or over-simplified the paralyzing dilemma. Beat fear? Pft… To beat fear is like saying to beat the fuel running through the vehicle that transports you. Why a single drop a fear could help trigger a sympathetic autonomic fight or flight response… releasing adrenaline to give otherwise super-human strength…
Today as I feared a thing for its futility, I remembered that I could not lose or gain a piece of my soul for doing a seemingly hopeless thing. As if every day, I haven’t built a reality from the seemingly hopeless. In fact, my story has been seemingly hopeless to someone somewhere from the time my tiny body grew and pressed against the inside of hers. To recall the depths of all the other seemingly hopeless ordeals since then and derive that a futile thought might deserve a corner of space in my mind brought a smile to my face and hearty laughter to my spirit.
There’s no need to fear…fear. It is certainly flammable and deserves its respect, but when it flows the right path, ignites us and helps to get us where we need to be. Fear is not a weakness but a tool to be harnessed for the opportunity to return to the base feeling of peace and calm.
What do you fear? How do you harness your fear?
- Millionaire Mindset, Lesson One. (themillionaireuniversity.com)
- Nerd Words to Live By: Harness (lovemekanism.org)
- Harness The Power Of Intention, Step 4 of 5 (ambiancecomeinside.wordpress.com)
- Affirm Yourself (fitbuttfabulous.wordpress.com)
So the challenge is easy!
1. Find music you love of a different genre that actually that means something to you.
2. Reply to this post to tell us why (without posting a link or all of the lyrics). Pleas only 2 songs please
Then, talk about it! How is it different? In which genre? Whyyyy? 🙂 * The only stipulation is that here on this blog, I can’t post explicit words or artwork, so blank out a letter or two, but it must be without cussin’
3. Later tonight or Friday morning, I may request details and dedicate an article as I am inspired! I’m excited to see both how it captivated you and to hear or see new art
It’s way to easy to forget that we, the listeners, hold the cards, cut, and deal ’em. The popular music landscape tends to reflect our current collective desires to escape reality. Is there anything wrong with that? I doubt it.
The continued success of Alicia Keys and the emergence of Kendrick Lamar have inspired a slow trickle of more meaningful songs. This shows us that no one– not the artists or their corporate support or independent investors are immune to the support and the will of the consumer.
How to support your new fav artist? Yes of course buy originals and prints when you can, and download music and eBooks, get tickets legitimately, but when listening free, or admiring a work at no charge, try doing it using ad-enabled outlets like traditional and online radio, request their songs sometimes, share the work with someone who can afford it. Watch the official videos on YouTube, subscribing, sharing as instructed by the artist, and following on other social media are all ways to support. Support is ALWAYS appreciated.
Where to start? Well find out who’s playing in your town, where is the local arts council, download the an online radio app on your phone and search for channels. I personally enjoy and support Real Talk Radio’s Spreaker station- search for its show called “Fresh Friday” for new Hip-Hop, but I’m a old-school hip-hop head; there are other online stations there. Create a Pandora station for the artist or genre you would like to try.
Enjoy the challenge!
Don’t forget to share this info.