Situation Report: Illumi-Not Them
Their handy-work goes by society, the elite—decision-makers; the real players—the payers, the beyond pay—the eternity seekers. They have been described as the crabs in a barrel pulling them back as if that were the same thing as helping them escape if they wanted such. Keeping them that way ensures they pose no threat to their own success and the legacy for their like. They square the root of evil for power so it neither falls on their watch nor advances without their thumbprint. They are often called haters, card-holders, king-makers and deck-stackers– to sway beliefs and preferences—unsatisfied, they seek to better calculate and predict them- to stay aligned with their comforts, traditions, and desires. They were there first; they were born first; they thought of it first; they were slighted first; their pain and story are more important—any justification works. Continue reading
2nd part of the series “Second the One” by Meka
“Sell me the dream,” I think
Gazing intently atop my drink
Careful not miss his rendition of the familiar speech
These lips can sync it by heart and memory
Recalling files of familiar lines from the Top Shelf
Tipsy enough to amuse myself
But the muse, myself
Instead is listening attentively-
Admiring how seriously
He takes life but not himself
Makes punch-lines land smoothly
Amid run away laughter
Drowning out the sense to tell when it’s time to
Mired in misery and fear is a southern town some say lost its hospitality along the way. Where comfort is a waterfront plantation on a hilltop nestled between wealth and privilege for as many generations as recorded in the town’s historic buildings. And the beauty of days past is dutifully preserved in gardens in ever perfect bloom arising from ancient soil. Distance calls it perfection.
“This is Warrior 5. Sir. Pat yourself on the back with your free hand; draw a bar in the mud on your forehead…”
“Sir I’m honor…”
“Day old tea?! Lieutenant -one day or one month? Over.”
“T minus one day, Sir.”
“Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot….”
“Roger that, Warrior 5. What the fu.., Sir. Over”
“Confirm. Sit-Rep in two fife.”
“I copy: Situation report in 25 minutes. Location in fife. Over.”
“…Eyes on Juliet?” Clicking noise.
“Three scout teams no commo, Sir, Over.”
“Damnit!” Shouts Warrior 5. Brief white noise followed by a faint click. Silence.
I know she feels this way too. I’m GQ today
But her Allure… “Waiter, 2 more? ” I’m
Wondering how many drinks it takes
To knock these plates off the table
Fiction #2 by Meka
A fictional short story of love. A woman and her daughter locked in a battle of wills–struggling to be heard. Who will win?
Didn’t I tell you not to scream inside? Must I chide you for screaming inside. This is a place of peace and quiet, so respect it. No screaming inside!
Child, have you no pride? People can hear you screaming outside. What will they say? You’ll be a lady someday, and ladies don’t scream outside!
Find your respect this moment young lady, or take cover. You can NEVER again scream at your mother. You should only obey and love her, it seems– but never ever ever scream!
…are all I wished to say, but the contortion of your face as it pressed out the weighty matters of selfish cookie-hoarding monsters or the taunting manner in which he’s “lookin’ at you” are not quite the same today, so I’ll wait.
You look more like me because “if you were you” you would have sought my guidance. I know you cannot see clearly because I saw your clarity streaming down your cheeks and to your dark painting
As I gently scraped stray streaks of blue paint from her yellow to look busy, she barely says hello anymore. I just tell her anyway what I think she needs to know- in case my baby is in there listening someplace.
“Control yourself…you’ll learn…have to pay attention…just one thing…and instincts…aware… image… grow and evolve….spirit… when you’re older…anticipate…in case of danger… think…yes you’re the same…. never forget… unexpected….but dust yourself off…distant memory, so remember…be..better…bigger… individual…yes, I’m aware..but true friends… pray…trust..don’t ask so many… no, snitching is..You are beautiful…smile!..only once….ever you want to be… melody…lovely painting”
Eye rolls, lip smacks, and occasional grunts are all I ever notice anymore, yet her silence is the most deafening like a barrage of discomforting nothingness followed by a hanging high-five as she disappears right in front of me. “If that’s all…” she says politely in a tone so perfect I would’ve dismissed it easily if I weren’t her mom.
Soooo how does it feel to make my video debut sleep-deprived, un-styled and reciting the worst fiction I’ll ever write, performing the worst acting I’ll ever perform in the worst video I’ll ever produce to complete my challenge to “ACT OUT: Monologue”? It feels absolutely amazing!! 😀
Now THAT was a challenge Sure, I’ll laugh with and at myself for many years about the extent of my irrational anxiety about this and in the challenges before. But it helps to know that nobody really gives a damn– lol
Yet I was the one losing sleep! …and dreams, squandered youth and opportunities. And you may say, “well Meka, your blog’s not even a month old; you don’t know the ramifications yet.” Well you would be right because I don’t know. When I took no risks, I didn’t know either, and today I still don’t know. I know that there’s plenty of time to fail. In fact I will, just as I have failed at some things before, without question.
- What do I know for sure? …that I tried and did the best I could as I would want my own to do until they learned a better way. I will give that advice to them anyday and not blink because I lived it– no explanation needed. And if I fail, it’s because the obstacles would be real and not perceived, irrational, some self-imposed blockage accepted from someone else, or accepted as fact for lack of the gift that is the curiosity to question things, or the “courage to change the things I can”. They are mine alone– destined to be and will one day work for me as I continue my journey.
- Whyyyyy is it important? Because it proves that I can do anything, and even that it was not done very well is inconsequential at this point. (incoming caveat) As a professional writer, artist, and an aspiring fiction writer, I am not satisfied with the quality of this work. There’s clearly a lot of work to do, but ya have to start somewhere, and guess who I just beat in a race to the top? Every single aspiring fiction writer who never tried. This is beginning of the road for me. What’s next is where my post, Part 2: Challenge to Finish a Project comes into play. But let’s explore the sentence emboldened above: “I am not satisfied with the quality of this work.”
Pay attention the magic happens quickly… (hey it’s my party 🙂
- That my dear Loves, the ability to accurately label and effectively harness disappointment and dissatisfaction– to its proper and most beneficial place, is growth. I don’t mean “excuses” because those are empty, but when I am actively working on becoming better in that specific area, I am growing. You can see the steps I am and will take and progress is measurable. Then, you can see that the car is harnessing the fuel– not the other way around. I had been allowing the fuel to completely incinerate the car! You can’t travel in a burnt up car!
These are the BASICS– an important piece of the foundation on which I can build my dreams.
I value a short-cut and a heads-up like everyone else, but I can’t dream of shopping and promoting volumes of my own future work with the anxiety I carried about revealing myself or paralyzing fear and self-criticism that haunted me. Do I still become fearful? Yes, but instead of transporting me back to bed, I’ve learned to harness it as fuel to transport me to back to the satisfaction that comes with living and have a peaceful– not a fearful spirit.
“Everything you want is on the other side of fear.” ― Jack Canfield
Talk to me. If you dug it and travelled with me, don’t forget to share, like, and comment below. Thank you so much for reading.
- Daily Prompted: 15 Hrs til “Act Out ….”Monologue (lovemekanism.org)
- Day 14: Jack Canfield – Live the Life that you Want (200daysofwonder.com)
- Wednesday Writer Resources: Holly Lisle’s Professional Plot Outline Mini-Course [Kindle Edition] (genrebookreviews.com)
- A Blogger’s Best Friend & Why Fiction Writers Should Pay Attention To Poetry. . . (nfaa.wordpress.com)