Our gifts aren’t only for making a living, they can also get us through life. That’s why I picked one new artist, and one professional as the two poems I picked to share with you. (1) The first is from Jus Biz in the first piece he has written in years, he at once got his mojo back and rediscovered this form of self-expression. (2) The second is from a writer- an up and coming rap artist and amazing story-teller, D Skyyy. Both were challenged to one of Mira’s prompts. Enjoy!
“This is Warrior 5. Sir. Pat yourself on the back with your free hand; draw a bar in the mud on your forehead…”
“Sir I’m honor…”
“Day old tea?! Lieutenant -one day or one month? Over.”
“T minus one day, Sir.”
“Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot….”
“Roger that, Warrior 5. What the fu.., Sir. Over”
“Confirm. Sit-Rep in two fife.”
“I copy: Situation report in 25 minutes. Location in fife. Over.”
“…Eyes on Juliet?” Clicking noise.
“Three scout teams no commo, Sir, Over.”
“Damnit!” Shouts Warrior 5. Brief white noise followed by a faint click. Silence.
Have you paid a gardener
If not, grab a rake
Did you like this one? “Like” it here, share, and don’t forget to follow! -lovemeka
“… the ability to accurately label and effectively harness disappointment– to its proper and most beneficial place, is growth. I don’t mean “excuses” because those are empty, but when I am actively working on becoming better in that specific area, I am growing. You can see the steps I am and will take and progress is measurable. Then, you can see that the car is harnessing the fuel– not the other way around. I was allowing the fuel to drive and it completely incinerated the car! You can’t travel in a burnt up car!”
These are the BASICS– an important piece of the foundation on which I can build my dreams.
I value a short-cut and a heads-up like everyone else, but I can’t dream of shopping and promoting volumes of my own future work with the anxiety I carried about revealing myself or paralyzing fear and self-criticism that haunted me. Do I still become fearful? Yes, but instead of transporting me back to bed, I’ve learned to harness it as fuel to transport me to back to the satisfaction that comes with living a peaceful life– not fearful in spirit.”
–lovemeka, After Challenge to Act Out.. (7/10/13)
I’m happy I found this draft in my inbox today when I could use it most 🙂 I hope in time you can draw strength from it too. Please also pay-it-forward by sharing using the buttons below!
You might also enjoy:
“The continued success of Alicia Keys and the emergence of Kendrick Lamar have inspired a slow trickle of more meaningful songs. This shows us that no one– not the artists or their corporate support or independent investors are immune to the support and the will of the consumer.”-Meka, New Artist Challenge (6/23/ 2013)
It’s way too easy to forget that we, the listeners, hold the cards, cut, and deal ’em. The popular music landscape tends to reflect our current collective desires to escape reality. Is there anything wrong with that? I doubt it.
How to support your new fav artist? Yes of course buy originals and prints when you can, and download music and eBooks, get tickets legitimately, but when listening free, or admiring a work at no charge, try doing it using ad-enabled outlets like traditional and online radio, request their songs sometimes, share the work with someone who can afford it. Watch the official videos on YouTube, subscribing, sharing as instructed by the artist, and following on other social media are all ways to support. Support is ALWAYS appreciated.
Daily Prompt: Open Letter
Dear Lovely Community,
As I have immersed myself into Part 2: Challenge to Finish a Project, I told you of dual projects (one mandatory) but I’m aware that I have written fewer letters these days as I have practiced writing for fiction characters. and other shorter poems, but I read a quote on a blog for writers that keeps returning to me, and I’ll post a link when I think of it or find it again- (or if you read it too, send me a link). It’s about how one should write the book you have- not the one you want. Have you ever seen something that you liked at the time but becomes LOUDER to you later. So loud that you’re nudged to feel that there’s something important to be learned from it? Well, that quote was like that to me… Here are chapter excerpts from the book I “have“. And it’s non-fiction so far. I hope you enjoy the preview. It’s about a question we have when we start or pick up enough pieces- how in the heck does one arrive where they are– so many factors that make a person who he or she is- our ethnocentrism (somewhere an Anthropologist is smiling). I noticed earlier that there are at least three regular posts in draft O_O and I said I wouldn’t do that! So Ya know what that means? to fix it 😀 I’m getting there haha! Thank you so much for following with me on this journey. Enjoy!
If you are also working on this Challenge, feel free to post your updates.
Click “More” to Preview the Excerpt
Love Mekanism Project: “Growing Up Super-Angel-Mother-Nature-Human”
“…but for me, it has become a respectful understanding of credit unduly assigned to limitations of my humanity, and the comparison is awfully pale… for shivering in the enormous cold shadow on the other side of love. Love as a profile of life and an attribute of one’s spirit- not a condition…” -Meka, Love Mekanism Project
Listening, admiring, and creating new art are a great escape. Here are this week’s picks and finds from the community.
- Wave your flag at me so I can see what you are listening to by commenting or pinging where we can visit to see your picks
- If I happen to see any or any is sent to me that I’d like to share, I’ll post it here.
- Enjoy and let’s do this again Thursday– tentatively per the schedule!
This Week’s Community *PICKS*
1. Picked from twitter @lovemekanism Click the title link below to hear the poem
Distance in Words, by Solace the Writer
From the album, Fear of Mics
“How can you lose something you never owned? By thinking you own it.” -Solace, the Writer
2. Picked from Instagram/lovemekanism
These are the beautiful, and alive with energy. I could barely post these for staring at them. Don’t you love these?
3. Picked from facebook/lovemekanism
Like Damn, TriiipleBBB featuring Bates
Everything in the world wanted me to have this little club song- in the spirit of First Date: Poem 14. This one’s meticulously produced; the artist dances with a sexy subject matter without going too far. Nice one!
4. Seen on Permanent Days Unmoving – (good, clean…easy-reading blog by the way). I liked it a lot.
2,3 Clear by Senser
“Like” these here, share using the buttons below, and don’t forget to Follow!… or forget to support your favorite artists -lovemeka
Thank you so much Richard A. Cross for thinking of me for this award. I have seen the company in which you have placed me, and I have been speechless since Monday over the gracious gesture. I read that Mr. Cross is a Motivational Speaker and Coach who has committed his time, talents, and influence, including a fire-stirring blog called, Energize Your Thoughts. All for a career of helping others push their limitations to reach full potential.
I can personally attest that when life gets hard enough, it can be difficult to remember who we are in terms of our abilities and promise. Boundaries can be moved so far you’ll need a compass to find your way out of an inch that looks like a sea of hopelessness- so large it can drown a man by sight alone.
And when a broken shell of a creature finds a way arise from a littered desert shore and dust himself off, the instinct is usually to further punish ourselves for ever getting there in the first place. Or worse, spend our days watching from the sun-beaten rocks in bitter fear that we might drown again. It’s good to know that somebody gives a damn, and I appreciate that.
Now! The rules are that I give the following information about myself:
Seven Interesting Things About Me
- I dreamt the name Love Mekanism, woke up, and wrote it out using the first thing I could find. Then, I text a pic to my best friend, who by then knew that I wanted to write creatively. This blog’s header is a picture of it.
- Love Mekanism Project blog will be 7 weeks old on Sunday. The third challenge of the project was to share a personally written article of my choice and interest, with… other “people”. So, I set up this blog to host one post.
- I wanted to do this for years now and to write creatively for as early as I could write. Perhaps that’s interesting because I have written as my only full-time career since I graduated from college up until the writer’s block.
- Now, there are over 80 personally written posts here of my own, and I also feel comfortable saying that writing is no longer blocked– still plenty of room for improvement. It’s working, so won’t try to “fix” the little system I have- which is to post whatever I have so I’m forced to correct it and not hold it and never post anything. I’m just glad to be able write again 🙂
- Often I have an idea of what I want to write about, but it never turns out as I imagine. I’m usually pleased with the drafts I post- although now-a-days, my edited versions are beginning to look more and more like the originally posted drafts
- One interesting development is that I have become comfortable making people uncomfortable. Although most will find nothing terribly wrong with what I have to say here, but in some circles of the life I was born into, people are afraid to even hear, read, or consider anything other than his or her own view in it’s own way. No matter. Where I would have shied away from that, I’m drawn to it when I feel the need to be.
- Hey! Ya know what else is pretty interesting? The artist kind enough to let me write about his song in the first post– just got a namesake guitar and performed at an awards show! I knew you’d think so too…
- And a Bonus!…. Haha! That EJ, there’s no bonus
This award is special:
I looooooove to share what I love. The following are those I find inspiring. From a new blogging inspiration from down under who has spoiled the blog with 2 awards already and inspires me to either write well or run and hide until I can figure out how to respond to being called the “G”-word– “genius” O_O 😀 These are also those who inspire and push other writers and poets including those who have overcome adversity and turned it into something beautiful. For these, Love won’t allow us to pity ourselves too long because there’s too much living to do and too many people to inspire. And all is right with the earth by me in this moment knowing that it has been salted by humanity in the likes of you.
Now for Meka’s *NOMINEES* of the Very Inspiring Bloggers Award:
- Whimsical Eclecticist
- Live Simply, Travel Lightly, Love Passionately, and Don’t Forget to Breathe
- Sahm King
- Carolyn Howard-Johnson’s Sharing with Writers
- Romance with Val
- Lauren Sapala
- Retcon Poet
- Shawn Bird
- LScott Thoughts
- Aspire to Inspire
- Awakening to Your Story
- Black and Write
Thank you so much!! — Too Much!! -lovemeka
Please don’t forget to help me thank Richard A Cross at Energize Your Thoughts.
- Display the award on your blog.
- Have a link inside your blog to the person who nominated you.
- Present the award to 15 bloggers.
- Let your nominees know that you have nominate them by commenting on their blog.
- Post seven (7) interesting things about yourself.
Other than the reference to Shakespeare’s Julius Ceasar, I have never heard the phrase “et tu”. Hearing or reading this literary earworm reminds me of the very first time I heard, “et tu, Brute?” which means “even you, Brutus?” A betrayed Julius Ceasar says in a dramatic bro-mantic finish after being stabbed by his own best friend and one he never expected to betray him, Marcus Brutus-“even you, Fool?” Oh yeah, Brutus also means stupid in Latin. In retrospect, this one of only two things from high school that I long for. Yes, I know that was a pretty geeky thing to say. The other one longing was Tupac. Tupac’s most famous poem is The Rose that Grew from Concrete (refer to the link above as needed). That’s why I’m calling this one “et Tu Rose?